Architectural Driving Tour
The Spring Green area is a treasure trove of architecture which has been designed or influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. Besides the buildings designed by this giant of American architecture, the River Valley has many structures by Wright’s former apprentices – some now practicing at Taliesin Architects and some working independently in the area. The buildings marked with * are open for viewing, as long as visitors take care not to disrupt ongoing business activities. Those marked ** are included in tours given by the FLW Visitor Center.
*1. Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center, Frank Lloyd Wright, 1953: originally designed as a restaurant. Tours of the Taliesin estate begin here (guided tours only) and include: TALIESIN, Frank Lloyd Wright’s primary residence for 48 years. Midway Farm is the only farm designed by Wright, Hillside Home School was designed as a boarding school for Wright’s aunts, Romeo & Juliet Windmill, designed to pump water to the original Hillside School building (demolished in 1950) and Tan-y-deri House, designed for Wright’s sister, Jane Porter.
2. Unity Chapel, J.L. Silsbee, 1886: was the Lloyd Jones family chapel. Silsbee’s apprentice, Frank Lloyd Wright, did the interior delineations.
3. Aldebaran Farm was the ancestral home of Wright’s Uncle James, later modified by William Wesley Peters. Call 773-334-4924 for reservations.
*4. Scenic Overlook Pedestrian Bridge, James Charles Montooth, 1992. (There is a great view of the House on the Rocks’ Infinity Room.)
5. Wyoming Valley School Cultural Arts Center, Frank Lloyd Wright, 1956: this two-room public elementary school was in large part donated by Wright as a memorial to his mother.
6. Wintergreen, Paul Wagner (with original concept developed by W.W. Peters), 1989: the main feature of the building is the 360 degree view from the hilltop.
*7. The House on the Rock Resort, James Charles Montooth, 1989 with addition, E. Thomas Casey, 1992.
*8. The Visitor Center, Reception Area and Bar at the Spring Valley Inn, R. Joseph Fabris, 1988.
*9. Usonian Inn, J.C. Caraway, 1948.
*10. St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 129 West Daley Street, William Wesley Peters, 1989. The 8″ x 18″ leaded glass altar windows designed by Susan Jacbos Lockhart.
*11. Spring Green Area Chamber of Commerce, corner of Jefferson and Albany Street, William Wesley Peters, 1975.
*12. BMO Harris Bank, corner of Jefferson and Worcester Street, William Wesley Peters, 1970.
*13. Round Barn Motel and Banquet Room, Jim Pfefferkorn, 1973 & 1979.
14. Seth Peterson Cottage, Mirror Lake, Frank Lloyd Wright, 1958: Wright’s smallest design at 880 sq. ft. Restored and available for overnight lodging. Call 608-254-6551 for rentals or 608-254-6051 for tours.
* These buildings are open for viewing, as long as visitors take care not to disrupt ongoing business activities.